My AC unit used to pump its condenser water right into my laundry sink. All I needed to do to access this water was to put the end of the tube into a jug. Any overflow would just go down the drain.
However, we ended up moving our HVAC equipment into the attic. Now the condenser water is piped into the house drain. This means that I will need to purchase distilled water on an ongoing basis. On a hot day the plants go through almost a gallon of water, which starts to add up at over $1 per gallon.
One of my local markets has a reverse-osmosis water vending machine, so I will probably start using that in September and October (our hottest months here in the SF Bay Area).
I went to our local nursery to buy some plants for my mom for her birthday, but couldn’t resist purchasing a couple of new Dionaea. I left them in their ‘cubes of death’ for a couple of days but put them in the open after that.
So far they seem to be doing well. These are small plants with traps no larger than 1cm, but each pot holds several plants.
At this point my outside tray is full–if I purchase any more this season I will have to set up another tray.
One advantage of our home remodel (that resulted in the death of my outdoor CP’s) is more sunlight in the back yard. In the past, there was an enormous cypress tree in the back which gave us shade most of the day. This tree was removed as part of the remodel. Without that tree, the back yard has almost full sun all day.
My current Dionaea has strong red coloration inside the traps, and this coloration is now extending down the petioles as the summer progresses.
Similarly, my mystery Sarracenia is getting some nice red coloration to the pitchers. At this point it almost reminds me of my old Sarracenia x ‘Dixie Lace’.
I will get some pictures up as soon as possible.